This had to be one of the more spur of the moment projects that have happened at the Locustpointrowhouse. Fortunately it was not driven by an inspection or a safety need. Last year when I built the fence on the other side of the patio, I was not 100% decided I would do the same on the other side. At that same time I didn’t feel the need to invest the money on the other side and instead put potted plants along that area. It worked last year because my neighbor’s addition goes out just as far as my garage, so it served as its own boundary. This post showed sort of the baseline that we ended with last year.
Recently however, I was motivated to put the other side up. I won’t go into much detail, but I’m fairly confident I may have new neighbors on that side soon. The woman who was living there has not been seen for some time, so with a warm weekend this past weekend, I grabbed the Jeep, and picked up materials to duplicate the fence I had built the previous spring. A telling sign that inflation is up and the economy is still down is that this project cost me a solid $80 more then it did around this time last year, and this time around I had all of the deck screws to begin with. My buddy Mike lent me his much more hardcore hammer drill and off I went.
This side provided a bit more of a challenge because on one end the 4×4 post was going into the block wall of the garage, in the middle I was going into solid concrete, and on the other end into the brick of the house. I didn’t have patience or the money to jack up the concrete to set posts, so I tried to emulate what I did previously. The two end 4×4′s anchored to the buildings and the two middle 4x4s in a simpson post base bolted into the existing concrete footer.
Here you can see my neighbor’s addition, the 4×4 anchored to the garage, the center post holders, and the new AC lines:
Here all of the 4x4s are up. I sistered a 2×4 to each center 4×4 for additional rigidity and so that when the fence slats went up, there was a place to nail the end of each board, something I learned doing the other side. You will also notice the creepy and not to code window that has driven this project.
It quickly became clear that the two center 4x4s were not as straight as they seemed in the store. Oh well. I over engineered this side as well and added top and bottom plates with a 2×4 in the center of each section. The first two rows of fence pickets are up. The first row took a very long time to get level as it seems as though the concrete footer sloped with the patio.
Luckily the stairs are still unattached so I was able to slide them out of the way to work in that corner. The HVAC guys were definitely thankful too…haha.
Halfway there… Here I was rushing to get everything done due to a chance of snow that never happened Sunday.
This ended up being the final height. I was going to go up one more board, but decided on only going one board above the creepy window’s sill. The next process should have been documented by video because I’m sure I looked like a complete moron, but cutting the tops of the 4×4′s off was certainly interesting. In an attempt to avoid losing big pieces of wood in between her house and my fence, I screwed a piece of rope into the top of each post so that when I cut the top off, the piece could be retrieved. This worked 3/4 times…
This time around I had a bunch of leftover fence boards, so decided to give it a more finished look by adding a cap on top. I tried to maintain the same center lines as I did with all of the slats. It leaves a nice ledge to put plants and I am pondering some rope lighting or something for the little overhang.
After capping the top I still had more lumber. I wanted to avoid the horrible looking AC lines that the old ones had turned into, so I decided to build a box to cover them. I just used a couple scrap pieces of 2×4, a few fence slats, some construction adhesive, and the air nailer to put it all together.
Here is the finished product. I would love to stain both fence panels in the next few months. Obviously the other side has had about a year of exposure, but I think new pressure treated wood needs atleast 6 weeks or for all of the “green” to be gone which would tell you the wood is dry enough to take stain. All in all I’m pretty pleased. $300 and a day and a half got me 1 step closer to feeling done improving the patio. Now if only we could find something cost effective to re-do the concrete with…
Hopefully lots of spring projects upcoming.