I meant to post these yesterday but didn’t get the time to. I figure they’re still relevant before I hopefully finish up things this morning. A couple areas of the patio have seen some change since I last posted. I won’t go into complete detail until I get to post pictures of the completed fence and the patio cleaned up but here is what has been happening lately:
I filled in the top half of the old basement door opening with some leftover cedar shingles I had from when I did the garage wall. I also did a nice and sloppy job filling in the missing bricks. I think I’ve said this before, but if I lost my job I definitely would never make it as a mason. Needless to say, its done, the bricks haven’t fallen out, and that masonry paint I’ve been using should cover it nicely. The shingles have since been caulked and primed. The good thing about the whole design of the basement fill-in operation is that the floor panel lifts out and the shingles are adhered to a half sheet of plywood screwed to the door frame, so if it ever all had to come out for some reason (I hope not) it would relatively easy.
I know the horizontal boards might not be for everyone, but I like them and they don’t look like mass produced pre-assembled panel. The boards are staggered and in an interlocking pattern. At this point I am leaning towards staining them, but I need to get the fence up before I worry about that. Also if you were being intuitive, they aren’t red cedar or trex…its yellow pine. Seems to be a theme around here…oh well, it was under $200 for the materials and they boards are going up nicely. I hope to have another update this evening.
Happy Mother’s day.