As I mentioned in a post last week, there were still some lingering issues with the drainage from the downspout on the back of the house as it transitions from the trench in front of the garage and from there as it tries to make its way out to the alley.
After addressing the first step; the downspout itself; it was time to tackle the area here:
During heavy rain the water found its way under the door and would pool up in the corner, leaving a constantly wet area probably adding to the mosquito population back there. The first step I took was to pour a tiny stop or curb of sorts in this dead corner to keep the water from collecting there.
You’ll also notice there is some I poured in the trench itself. As I cleaned out all of the muck that had collected over the years I noticed that there was not even any concrete left here. I dug down about 6″ and filled in with concrete, trying my best to smooth it out and make it slope with the rest of the trench.
This was sort of phase 1 I guess and I took care of it on Saturday morning. The next step was to address where the water actually was getting under the door. I built a form that was as flush as possible with the wall of the garage and the lip of the trench. On the inside of the garage I let the form sit just a tad bit higher so that the step would eventually have just enough slop that water would run off of it and back into the trench. To address the water being able to get from the patio trench into the garage trench, I took a piece of leftover corrugated drain pipe and cut it in half. I made sure it fit snuggly between the two sides of the form. I figured this way I could pour concrete right over top of it and have a permanent means for the water to be directed into the garage trench.
I got the concrete in by about 11 am Monday…in the oppressive heat. I needed to get it done though before we got another period of rain or something…or before I lost motivation in general due to what I think is going to be a really really hot summer.
I pulled the forms off today and here is the final product:
Its not going to win a beauty contest and I’m not quitting my day job, but it should be functional. I dumped a couple buckets of water through the drain pipe to see how it worked and it seems to be doing its job.
You can see here a little better the half pipe laid into the form. You also can see as the concrete went down in the form it didn’t settle perfectly so there is a little aggregate showing. I probably should have paid more attention to tapping the form, but this is only the 2nd or 3rd time I have done this, so hopefully when I get to phase 3 and some other projects, I’ll have a better handle of this.
Now I need to cut down the door a little bit to accomodate for the new height difference. I also have one more leak/overflow area at the very back of the garage. The actual trench curb has cracked and is about to fall off right as the water makes its way out of the garage causing the back edge of the garage to semi-flood. This should just be a simply 4′ x 3″ or so straight line curb to guide the water out of the garage. I think I can get to that this weekend and thankfully I won’t be working in direct sunlight this time.
As I said before I have just a few more finishing touches out back on the patio and then I can move back to inside projects just in time for summer it seems.
P.S. – the transition to the website format is coming along well and I hope to be ready to make the switch in the next week or two.