I got the front wall furred out today. I still need to address the area under the window sill, but hopefully my Dad will help me with that this weekend.
Lovely furniture right?
With some time to kill while my brother came down to meet me for lunch, I started on installing the wire mesh on the back wall. I am doing this because of advice I got from a mason at work who I told about my moisture issues and spalling brick. He instructed me to scrub the brick thoroughly with a wire brush until most of the big loose pieces came off. I then was told to install wire mesh to the brick. He told me I could use nails or screws, but because I had an entire box of Tapcon masonry screws that were too short for the furring strips, I used those. They seem to work great, even into what appears to be a brittle brick.
The next step once I cover the bad areas of the wall with the mesh is to parge over the mesh with a thin layer of mortar. After this is complete I will apply some sort of water proof sealer (tbd). I then will feel more comfortable putting furring strips and drywall up on this wall.
At the sill…I will have to trim this I think, but I was waiting to see what to do with the sills.
The crumbling brick stops at about right where my mesh stopped. From that point up there doesn’t seem to be any deterioration issues.
I will most likely finish up with the mesh tomorrow morning and then go buy some insulation since I snagged my brothers truck.
I spent some time today furring out the back bedroom. It took a bit longer then expected because I had to fill in so many areas that had rotted wood with new wood. I cut new pieces, fit them in, and then spray foamed and gaps. I have one last little piece to do under the tall window, but I ran out of tapcon screws.
At noon I had to run to Home Depot to get 2 more bundles of furring strips and another box of screws to do the front wall downstairs and to afix some wiremesh to the kitchen wall.
Today I continued the push toward seeing drywall. I furred out the master bedroom walls this morning, but not before I tore through 3 masonry bits. I think I finally figured out how to keep the things from getting molten hot and ruining the boring end, so my 4th bit, which I had to run out and get at ACE Hardware in Federal Hill, made it through the rest of the morning. The trick seems to be going really light on the speed of the drill and easing the bit back and forth until it really starts to bore.
Here are some pictures of the completed wall:
Missing wood under window sill:
Proposed solution…a 2×4 flush with the furring strips and a piece of wood ripped down to approximately 2×5. It gave a nice tight fit and flushed things out nicely. I’m thinking I should be able to just spray foam in the bigger crevices on either side.
As it stands tonight the following needs to be taken care of before drywall can go up:
1) Masonry repair on kitchen wall – bought the supplies yesterday, hopefully get to this soon.
2) Install furring strips on guest bedroom wall, living room wall and kitchen wall.
3) Insulate front and rear walls with rigid insulation between the furring strips.
4) Insulate the upstairs ceilings with R38.
5) Pass insulation inspection.
6) Install blocking in the kitchen for cabinets.
7) Cut out stair well opening to create more headroom.
8) Get new windows installed…
I’d love to get the insulation inspected while I am still working evenings, but the windows are still being made, so that actually is the major hold up at the moment.
Well after weeks and weeks saying it was time to wash the brick, it finally happened. Following the direction of my fellow bloggers and some info found online, my Dad and I tackled the brick today.
We diluted Muriatic acid 1:10 with water. Then using a sprayer I got at home depot (make sure your sprayer has no metal in it, or it will get eaten up really quick) I sprayed the walls down.
Here is a shot of the living room wall mid way through the process. The acid really does clean up the faces of the brick nicely. I think because we spent so much prep time scraping the mortar and plaster off the brick the wash down actually was very easy.
It really doesn’t do it justice unless you see it in person. Here are some pictures of the finished (but unsealed) product:
Living room wall from the middle of the house:
Upstairs hallway wall:
Master bedroom wall:
Living room wall at the stairs:
Hallway wall again:
Guest bedroom wall:
I met with a stained a lady who does stained glass ( http://terrazastainedglass.com/index.html )
on Friday. She is going to make me a custom Maryland flag stained glass window for my kitchen door transom. Should be really neat and only take a couple weeks.
I have some more walls to fur out and some things to insulate, but drywall is getting more and more within reach…